2018 Chesterfield Aquatic League Annual College Scholarship
The Chesterfield Aquatic League (CAL) will award two $1,000 scholarships at the 2018 Champs swim meet. One award will go to a graduating high school senior girl and the other to a graduating high school senior boy. The scholarships are one time awards and are not renewable each year. A check for the amount of the scholarship will be paid directly to the scholarship award winner’s college or university once proof of admission and attendance to the college or university is verified by the Treasurer of CAL.
The scholarships are intended to reward outstanding citizens of the CAL. The scholarships will be awarded to the individuals that best exemplify leadership, dedication to team, educational excellence and concern for community.
A scholarship selection committee shall select the winners. The committee shall be comprised of a minimum of five members selected by the CAL Board of Directors. Consideration will be given by the CAL Board of Directors to include a committee member from each CAL division. The committee shall judge the applicants as follows: (i) contributions to CAL (50%), (ii) education achievements (25%), and (iii) contributions to the community (25%). The committee shall not give consideration to the applicants swimming ability. The committee may, at its discretion, interview the finalists to assist in determining the winners.
- The applicant must have participated in the CAL a minimum of four years (this may be reduced if the applicant participates on a team that has been in the league less than four years) and be an active participant on a CAL team in the current year.
- The applicant must be a graduating high school senior.
- The applicant must have the recommendation of a CAL Parent Representative or CAL Director.
- The applicant must have the recommendation of their high school principal, guidance counselor, a high school teacher, or a community leader.
- The applicant must fill out the attached information sheets.
- The applicant must submit a typewritten Personal Statement detailing why they should be selected for the scholarship. The Personal Statement should include information on the importance of swimming and how participation in the CAL has affected their life by completing the following: “The Chesterfield Aquatic League has affected my life by….” The Personal Statement should be approximately one page.
- The applicant must submit two letters of recommendation prepared by: (1) a CAL Parent Rep or a CAL Director and (2) high school principal, guidance counselor, teacher, or a community leader. Letters of recommendation should not exceed one page.
- The applicant must provide a copy of their high school transcript.
- The applicant must submit the original and one copy of the application packet.
- Finalists may be interviewed at the discretion of the scholarship selection committee.
Complete applications must be submitted to Hope Wallin not later than July 1. Submissions may be made electronically to email@example.com, via U.S. mail to 7703 Centerbrook Court, Chesterfield VA 23832, or in person at any CAL function.
The scholarships will be presented at CHAMPS.
If the applicant knows that they will be participating on a college or university athletic team, they should contact the college or university to determine if they are eligible to accept the CAL scholarship.